Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Alpaca Tartan

A new weaving project has begun! The Alpaca Tartan Scarf has been started. The brown yarn is 100% baby alpaca and the green and orange stuff is 80% alpaca 20% silk. It's super delicious to feel.
This is how much weaving I got done today in an hour or so. This is very different for me because I'm not actually beating the threads down - I'm placing them with the beater to get the spacing that I want.
When I started this I wasn't really sure how far apart I wanted the pattern bits to go. While weaving today I decided that I am going to add 24 passes each time. So this last brown patch had 48 passes and the next one will have 72 etc. I want to do this so that nothing is really even. I have some sort of weird obsession with symmetry, so this is an exercise of a-symmetry for me. But I unconsciously have based the pattern on twelves. There are 12 brown threads before the color pattern starts on the left side and 24 after the pattern on the right hand side which is weird.
I'll get to work some more on this after tomorrow. I have no idea what I'm going to do with it when I'm done... I might sell it. We'll see.

No comments: